Tuesday, July 1, 2014

May 5, 2014~ Adjusting to the transfer: Stillwater is a whole new different creature


I'm telling you what, it's been such a long time since I've had a week that has felt like it's taken so long to go by!  Haha I don't know why but it feels like it's been ages since we've talked! But it's good to hear from you, and it'll be good to chat with you on Mother's Day.  Mom! that's no good to hear that you got stung by a scorpion!  That's one critter that we hardly see out here anymore, thank goodness.  The fireflies are starting to come out now, which is really neat.  Those things are super cool.  And what the heck!  Austin and Dad had some bdays!!  I forgot to mention something about that last week.  Happy birthdays!! And bdog school's almost out isn't it?  Woo hoo!!  

Well Stillwater is a whole new different creature.  Haha it's pretty nuts.  In a good way though.  The bishop here is super gung-ho missionary minded, our WML is a my way or the highway type guy with his sights set on baptizing all of Stillwater, and together they've got a game plan.  On Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday nights from 6:30-8:30 and then 6-9 on Saturday two brethren go on splits with us and we go our separate ways and visit people.  So the expectation's been set that we need to find enough people to have appointments to go to during those times.  In the last 2 weeks this area just had 7 baptisms, so they essentially baptized their whole investigator pool, and now we're left with filling it back up!  Haha but it's a good problem to have.  This expectation too isn't just from our Bishop but also across the stake.  Most the areas in the zone have the same type of systems going on.  Upon coming into the zone, I've noticed too that it seems like President W. has stacked this zone with some of the (best) missionaries in the mission.  It all starts from the top though!  President Bowen, the Stillwater stake president, set this expectation a year or so ago and now it continues move forward.

This past week though has been filled with coming to grips that I'm actually leaving Norman, and then trying to learn a whole new ward, investigators, less actives, and so forth.  My mind has been slightly mush these past few days.  This week though I've taken a lot of comfort in the experience of Ammon and his brethren.  President asked the mission to study Alma 26 this past week so we did and verse 1 really stuck out to me.  It says  "And now, these are the words of Ammon to his brethren, which say thus:  My brothers and my brethren, behold I say unto you, how great reason have we to rejoice; for could we have supposed when we started from the land of Zarahemla that God would have granted unto us such great blessings?"  I really liked this verse because it helps us realize that when they started out on their journey, they weren't expecting loads and loads of converts.   I'm sure they probably thought maybe a handful of people converted to the Lord would've been more than they could have asked for.  They still embarked on their journey though because they knew they needed to follow the promptings of the spirit that they felt, and that those feelings were from God.  They knew and trust that if they did follow those feelings, then they didn't need to worry about any other detail.  I also appreciate Ammon's example because he took time to reflect upon the experience after he acted in faith.

 I know at times that I act in faith and then don't give myself the credit I deserve, or Heavenly Father the credit he deserves for providing the blessings that he did because of the act of faith taken.  Rather those blessings can be looked over or counted for nought because of their simplicity.  Anyways, I know that reflective learning is progressive learning.  Not progressive in the bad way, but the good way :)  I know that the gospel is true, and I know that God loves you.  We were talking with an atheist the other day, who was a really pleasant man, but when it came to God he was prideful and mocked Him.  He asked me how I knew God was real, and I told him of an experience I had where I knew that God loved me, which is the foundation of my testimony.  As I bore my testimony those same feelings came back which reaffirmed to me that God is our Father, and that he does love us.  After I finished sharing that experience, this man was silent for a few moments, and then cracked a joke to change the subject because he was uncomfortable with feeling the spirit.  It was sad to see.  However I know that that's true.  I love you all, and look forward to talking to soon!


Elder Traasdahl


No comments:

Post a Comment