It sounds like you all have a wonderful celebration of fathers day too. I'm looking forward to takin a good book in my hands & slipping into that chair you got dad! B that's pretty sweet that you get to go to scout camp this week! Just remember that twinkies are for eating, not putting in scout's shoes. And even then, you shouldn't eat twinkies...
I'm happy to report that the work continues to roll forward! We were able to talk with the grandmother of the potential families that we have, and she actually seems to be more interested that the rest of the family, so we gained a potential and she's one of those grandma's that when grandma speaks, you listen! On Saturday morning we went to Boomer Lake, and walked around it for 2 hours, talking to the people that were out and about. It has a 5 mile concrete path all along the edge. It's pretty scenic. We talked to a solid girl that had a really weird Greek name that starts with an S.... She goes to a church that was made for people that have been hurt by churches. Prime individual for the gospel! We had a great conversation about Christ's earthly ministry, the apostasy, and the need for the restoration! She accepted the fact that God would call a prophet today, since he has in the past. Downside for us is she's a single student, so we'll need to pass her off to the OSU sisters. It's a big blessing for them though because they're having a rough go of it since school's out right now. Other than that Elder Whitehead and I have been focused on working with those who have a desire to change and accept the gospel, rather than working with those who enjoy our company. We've been cleaning up the investigator pool because of that so we've been left with some time to get out and Okie talk with the people of Stillwater! Haha we've had some good laughs this past week, and I know we'll continue to have em. People are great!
I've had the chance this past week to begin to read through the journal entries that I made at the beginning of my mission. I've expressed over the course of my mission my lack of ability to keep a steady journal, which I still have yet to get down, but I'm grateful for those moments which I was able to write. I struggle to find the right word to describe what it feels like to re read your entries from 2 years ago.
It was interesting because as I read I identified so well with the thoughts and feelings that I expressed. The moments came back to mind in an instant as if they just happened yesterday. What was hard about it though was that what I wrote wasn't always the best. I spoke poorly of my companion. I was negative about the area in which I was serving. Haha there were a lot of comments that had the "poor me!" attitude behind it. I continued though, hoping of course that I would change! Haha no one wants to see themselves like that. I could see small changes through each entry, through each change of a companion, and as I was transferred from my first to second area. I haven't gotten much farther than that in my reading.
I've come to understand better this past week what a blessing the Doctrine of Christ can be as we apply it in our life. Ta dah I know that's the classic answer to most every gospel question but I learned it this week from a different perspective. I saw who I was and couldn't deny it. However, I know who I am today and I have changed. I know that I have only been able to do so because of the grace and atoning power of Jesus Christ. He has asked us to act in faith, makes changes in our life to follow him by repenting, promise to do so by baptism, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end. I'm so grateful too that this isn't just a "mission gig", special changes that only are allowed to happen if you have a name tag on and wear white shirts and ties all day. These changes can happen all day, every day, for the rest of our lives!! We just have to choose. Haha Mom I caught your rambling bug :) I love this gospel though, I know it's true! Thanks for all your love and support, and all trunky thoughts aside I do look forward to being able to see y'all!!
Love,
Elder Traasdahl

No comments:
Post a Comment