Tuesday, July 1, 2014

May 12, 2014~ To be enabled


Well we're back to the mode of electronic communication my dear family!  It was a real treat to be able to chat with all of you last night . I believe it was a blessing in disguise we weren't able to Skype.  Haha Elder Whitehead, when he was done, came out of the room he was in with tear filled eyes and it took a little bit for him to gain his composure back.  Not that that's bad in any way, I just think I may have come out the same had I been able to Skype.  Anyways all is well!  Bdog, I didn't know you were the next William Joseph!  That's awesome!  Keep up the great work on your ivory tickling skills!  Aust thanks for the work out routines, that will really help.  Like you said, now I'll have at least some fighting chance come August when we're all back together pumpin iron!  Dad it looks like you scored with the Mothers Day gift, that's a pretty sweet lookin bike!  Next item on the list: one of those Ninja speed racing bikes. And mother. I feel bad because I didn't get a card or do anything special for mother's day, even though you deserve all of that and more.  I believe there's a quote by Abraham Lincoln where he says "All that am, and ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."  I don't believe I can say it any better myself than that!

I told you last night about the new couple that we found, Robin and Michelle.  We're really excited to have the opportunity to continue working with them.  We dropped a part member family this past week too, that missionaries have been meeting with for almost a year now.  It's come to the point where the member in the family wants to only hang with us and the spouse isn't willing to make any changes.   It's sad to see, the elders quorum in the ward is on top of it so we know that they won't go without a visit from the ward.  This past week we also received 3 referrals from other missionaries in Stillwater who are in other areas, so that's been a great blessing.  We haven't been able to contact all of them yet however. Hopefully next week I'll have better news!

Other than that  most of our investigator pool that we're working with are either people who missionaries have been meeting with for months, and we're going to need to make a decision too on whether or not we're going to drop them, or friends of recent converts.  We do a lot of teaching/visits to recent converts and we've been able to network through them and 5 of our potential investigators that we have right now are friends of recent converts.  We still have more people to find though! So miracles to come.

Like I mentioned last night briefly Elder Whitehead and I are holding a specialized training meeting next Monday and we'll be discussing overcoming fear and discouragement.

This morning in my studies, in preparation for that, I was reading in Matt 14, and the account of Peter when he walked on water.  There's a ton in there that I learned that I'll have to share another time, but one of my favorite insights was in vs 30.  It says "But when he (Peter) saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me."  In Peter's moment of fear and failure, he cried out to Christ and said "Lord, save me."  His response wasn't "well, I tried and failed, so that proves it can't be done."  Neither was it "I'm sinking! Looks like I need to go swim back to the boat where I know I can find safety."  He asked for help from his Savior, and "immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him... And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased."  I was thinking about it too and after Christ helped Peter how do you think they got back to the ship?  It doesn't say it in there, but it makes sense that they walked!  I don't think Christ would've taken Peter by the hand drug him along while He walked back to the boat.  With the aide and help of Christ,  Peter accomplished his goal and walked on water back to the boat.  

I've learned and know that in our moments of fear and failure, there's one source we can turn to for help.  To be enabled.  That source is our Savior. What a blessing that we can have opportunities where we fail and are afraid!  Because we then have the privilege of being led by the hand of Christ and come to know Him.  I love this gospel and I love my Savior. You're a tremendous family and I love all of you!  This week, when you're either afraid, or feel like you're failing, like Peter, call out "Lord, save me!" and watch as you're led by the hand back to the boat.  I hope you all have an incredible week! Love you!


Elder Traasdahl


No comments:

Post a Comment