Good morning
America! Here's an Okie classic for you
that happened this week. We were
visiting with a recent convert, and during our conversation we were talking
about Christ's life and his ministry. In
the middle of our conversation, our recent convert said "and you see,
that's just wrong! That's what Christ did to Jesus!" #Trinityfail. It's safe to say that there's some confusion
to clear up. It's also safe to that I
had a hard time trying not to bust up laughing when she said that.
Yayyy for
Austin's graduation though!! That's
super exciting! That was a really neat poem/quote you shared too Aust. "I
am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul!" Love it. And what's this rumor I hear about a
trip to California? Fun fun! Well shoot
this week. Lot's happened. There were many fiery darts and shafts in the
whirlwind flung my way as well. Small example to illustrate that point, we were
talking with a guy on the street and during a few minutes of a conversation he
wouldn't look us in the eye. It wasn't a
"I'm scared to talk to you" but rather a "I'd rather look at
dirt than you" type deal. Haha and it's happened before and it'll happen
again, no big deal. But this time my
guard was down and I let it get under my skin. So the new battle to fight now is not giving
in to the "well heck I don't care anymore I'm done with this"
attitude. Because in the words of my
Samoan friend Elder Tommy "aint nobody got time for that!"
This week we
were able to set 2 baptismal dates with Robin and Michelle, the couple I was
telling you about on Mother's day. To be
honest we're not sure about Robin's desires, we think he's more interested in
becoming converted to the gospel of Michelle rather than the Gospel of Christ,
however we have high hopes for Michelle! This week we also had the special opportunity
to volunteer for the Special Olympics! Apparently
it's always held in Stillwater and it's the big deal here. My biggest regret was that I forgot to bring
my camera! It was a definite moment to
remember though. We also were able to do
some service and chop some wood this week for the first time. Pictures to come. Sad to say, after the experience, I felt like
my man card needed to be revoked. Haha
if only you could've been there. So
Pops, you should get some wood, and axe, and a chopping block in the back yard,
so we can practice chopping wood.
1. Chopping
wood. Here I go mid swing!
Yes, I could have better form, I know... haha
2. #teamwork myself and Elder Whitehead.
Scripture
thought and experience of the week: Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with
all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. vs 6. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall
direct thy paths." I was on exchanges this weekend with one of
our DL's. At the end of each exchange,
we do what's called an exchange report, to help ourselves focus on a goal that
we want to work on or a skill/attribute that we want to obtain. Throughout our conversation and exchange
noticed some things about this elder. He
is a great missionary and I've served around him for 6 months of my mission. Whenever he did something good or someone
complimented him however he would disregard it and then proceed to point out a
fault or weakness of his. As we were
talking I had the thought "I wonder if he loves himself?" It thought that was an odd thought to have but
it lingered, so I told him, "Elder, I've never asked someone this before,
and you don't have to answer this. But think to yourself. Do you love yourself?" There was a pause as he thought, and I fully
intended for the conversation to continue. This elder answered the question though, and
said "No, I don't think I do. I
can't see anything to love." I was
taken aback by his answer, but tried not to show it. He then asked, "Elder Traasdahl, how do
you learn to love yourself?" How
would you answer that? Haha because in
the moment it was on my shoulders to answer! And I knew that this was a serious and real
concern. Prov 3:5-6 came to my mind, and
I said a serious prayer. I said
"Heavenly Father, I'm calling one in for the team. Let me know what to say to help this elder
out!" I trusted in the Lord and fam
I'm tellin you what, he directed my path.
What came
out of that conversation was a daily 6 step process that this elder needs to
take to learn to love himself. After
looking at it I thought to myself "wow, I never would've been able to come
up with this on my own. Ever." Alma 26:12 at the beginning of my mission
became one of my favorite scriptures and continues to be. I know that we all are nothing, yet I know
that in the strength of the Lord we can do ALL things! Be it help a member of our ward gain a
testimony, serving a fellow deacon, taking the MCAT :), helping a comp, and on
and on. My testimony continues to be
strengthened through the daily experiences of living the gospel and keeping the
commandments. I love you all so much and
thank you so much for you support and love!
Elder
Traasdahl
No comments:
Post a Comment