Tuesday, July 1, 2014

June 9, 2014~ "And in the 4th Watch..."

Annnnnd another week comes and goes!  Life continues to roll forward, like the stone cut out of the mountain.  Well it sounds like the big news of the weeks is Austin got a new car!  Yippee Kai Yayy!!  I'm likin this idea Tyler has, that's definitely the designated date car :)  B dizzly dog, what's goin on with your summer!?  Are you loving life?  Mom was telling me about your visit you made to Aunt BJ.  You won't forget moments like those I can tell you that much.  And shoot I never got to tell you this but a few weeks ago mom sent a video of you at your piano concert and I can't believe how good you've gotten at tickling the ivory!  Keep up the great work!  You guessed right Dad, I'm stickin around here in Stillwater for my last full transfer.  I'll have two weeks after this transfer which we'll be in a trio, which will be interesting, but that experience is yet to be had. Like Tyler I appreciate all your words of encouragement and support that y'all have been giving as time wanes down.

My time is shorter now because it seems like half of Stillwater has chosen to all of a sudden show up at the library all of a sudden and check their facebook, soo I've gotta be quick now. As you saw from the pictures I sent I was able to attend two baptisms this past weekend.  Actually 3.  Another was in Edmond for an investigator the sisters there were teaching for 7 months that knew it was true but was a fence sitter.  Anyways, Anthony, the boy, we met with 1-2 times a week for 3 months, and Marlene we visited with once a week for 3 months and the twice a week my last 3 months in Duncan.  I got to know both of them really well, and while I was there I offered up many prayers on behalf of them.  There was much time during my personal study each morning that was spent on their concerns and needs.  I asked myself plenty of times "what more do I need to do?  What am I not doing?"  And questions of the sort.  

In Matt 14, which is becoming one of my favorite scripture passages, when Peter has the opportunity to learn about acting in faith and looking to Christ, it says simply in vs 25 "and in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea." Now I'm not a scholar, but my understanding is that the Jews reckoned their time in "watches", the 4th being the last.  1-3 the 1st, 3-6 the 2nd, 6-9 the 3rd, and 9-12 the 4th.  S. Michael Wilcox gives a talks about this and talks goes more in depth about it all.  The principle learned here though is that God is a 4th watch God.  Sometimes we expect him to come and in the 1st or 2nd watch, because we know that God answers prayers, and when we ask answers come right?  Well at times we wait and wait, and that might put us in the 3rd watch, and that could get very testy.  That's when we learn where our faith lies.  And then the 4th watch comes. 




Both those baptisms were special experiences because I learned that not all the time, even if it is a righteous cause, is our will the Lord's will.  I don't know why Anthony or Marlene didn't get baptized when I was there.  But I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of being able to go back, and I know that my prayers were answered, just not in the way I was looking for them to be answered.  I love this work and I know what time I have left is going to be great!  Keep on loving the commandments and praying for the desire to live them! Love you!

Elder Traasdahl

 1. Anthony Ray Jones, worked with him in Norman for 3 months



2. Marlene Pekins McSperit, Elder Zerkle and I found her, and then Elder Lott and I taught her for the time I was in Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment