Tuesday, June 24, 2014

March 17, 2014 ~ How the Lord works in my life

Well, one of these days I'll be able to weave a rhyme as quick and nice as the beaty boy Elder T Traasdahl to introduce my email.  I'm going to start this email with a quick little story, to show you how the Lord works in my life.  Just last week, or the week before, I was emailing Austin and telling him that I was pretty positive that I was getting transferred and set on leaving Norman.  Well, come Sunday afternoon, when the AP's called us to give transfer doctrine, Elder Ravsten opens the convo with "Well elders, only 1 missionary is leaving your zone, who do you think it is?"   Haha I knew right then and there that it wasn't going to be me.  There's a few comps in the zone that needed a change, but the one that needed it the most got it.  So our whole zone is essentially staying the same, minus 1 new sister coming in.  Haha nuts right?  We've got some charity teaching to do this next transfer.  Anyways, I have been sufficiently humbled, and have learned yet again that I am not one to tell the Lord what moves to make.

So our area is slowly picking up by small and simple measures. We're still trying to work with the members and are seeking to build their faith and confidence that yes, they can share the gospel, rather than "pray for the missionaries that they will find the elect and honest in heart."  What an incredible difference it would make if each member would pray that they would be led to the elect and honest in heart.

We found a family the other day as we were out and about. We first talked to the mother who was with her 3 little girls and baby boy in the park.  After okie talkin with her for 5 or so min we asked if we could share a 10 min message and she was willing, so we shared a little bit of the Restoration with her, and mainly focused on prophets.  We set a return appointment for the next day so we could visit with her and her husband.  When we show up for the appointment we meet the husband and he's a straight thug.  Tattoos up the ying yang and looks like he could kill you on the spot.  Haha but he's a great guy, super open and found God after his gang life.  (This is the Ramirez family by the way) We taught the whole Restoration and at the end Br. Ramirez accepted our invitation to say the closing prayer!  What's best about them is they're really willing to listen and read the B.o.M and keep the commitments we extend.  As we were leaving that first appointment we had with the whole family, before the prayer was said, we said to them, "Br. and Sis. Ramirez, we know what we have shared with you tonight is true.  We know that God knows you, he loves you, and he has prepared your family to receive this gospel."  I've never said that to someone in the first lesson but shoot howdy dang it came rolling off the tongue and it was powerful! So we're excited to work with that family.

We've got a few more appointments set up with potential investigators this next week that we're looking forward to, so next week hopefully there will be more to report!

Last thought, as we were seeking to commit a member to pray for missionary opportunities, she (in a somewhat rebellious tone) said to us "you're always trying to commit us to do things, how about we commit you do something!"  Long conversation cut short, we were committed to keep a gratitude journal, and write down 5 things we're grateful for each day at the end of the day.  I've been doing that for 3 days now, and even within the 3 days that I’ve been doing it, I can always recognize a difference in my attitude, my outlook on life, and my happiness. I know that God wants us to be happy. I've learned though that he won't force that happiness upon us.  It is a choice!  He will always respect our agency.  We can use our agency to accept the happiness and joy He is waiting to bless us with by choosing to be grateful.

Thank you thank you thank you x 1000000000 for your constant love and prayers!

Love,



Elder Traasdahl

This is the Shinn family. 
The old man with the beard is a returning LA member, the rest will be members soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment