Friday, June 20, 2014

March 10, 2014 ~ The Living Church


It feels like it's only been a few days since I talked to y'all last!!  oh wait, it has...  haha shoot howdy dang.  Well I apologize if this one is a little bit shorter.  It doesn't mean I love ya any less though.  What's new, what's new?  We had two baptisms this last weekend in the zone.  We attended one of the baptismal services for a man who's been meeting with missionaries for nearly a year now. The pianist didn't show up so guess who got to play the piano??  You guessed it, this guy!  And yes, I was kicking myself for not practicing more back home....  I wish I had become more proficient at that skill.  Because I was struggling making my way through some of the hymns. So take note B-dog, there's blessings that come as you practice!!  You may not see them immediately, but they do come!  I also recommitted myself to spend more time practicing when i get home too. :)

At the baptism the member who gave the talk on the Holy Ghost shared a unique insight.  He mentioned how Christ taught that there needs to be a true and "living church" and then asked rhetorically "what did he mean by a living church?"  He then made the analogy to our bodies.  Our bodies are made up of two parts, our spirits and our body.  When our spirit is out, what happens to our body?  It's dead.  Lifeless.  When our spirits enter our body, life is brought back into our body, be that birth, or the resurrection.  He then related that to the church, and how our church is the "living church" because we have the gift of the holy ghost.  You can go to other denominations and religions and feel the power of the Holy Ghost, because whenever Christ is taught or testified of, the spirit will be present. However, it is in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that the spirit is living, because the authority is present to bestow it upon those who have taken upon themselves the name of Christ.  On a larger scale, the "body" of the church is "living" because the authority has been restored to give that gift.  It took me a little bit to completely understand what he was saying but it made sense after a while.  The member taught is as one who clearly has studied it, and I'm clearly talking about it as one who heard it.

I don't believe that I have told you about our investigator named Bobby Brown yet, have I?? He's from (I don't know how to spell it so i'll sound it out for you) Lie-beer-ee-uh :) he has a green card and is here for work.  You can hardly understand what he's saying, even though he says that English is his native language... haha but!  He's solid.  He has desires to draw closer to his God and want's to be have a sure and steadfast foundation.  He has a baptismal date for April 19th.  We had a church tour with him this Thursday and it was really neat, while we were touring the building he said "I don't want this to be the last time that I come here.  I feel good here."  He also has been reading the Book of Mormon and last we checked with him he's in 1 Nephi 14 and came across the "church of God and church of the devil" part and he mentioned that to us and said "I believe that! I believe it! You're either with God, or against him. I believe that you guys are with God."  It's been really great to meet with him. His biggest hold up right now is that he works only on the weekends, so we're trying to find ways around that right now, so that he'll be able to come to church!

I love love love love love you!! I say it or mean to say it every week, but know that you're in my prayers! D&C 42:61


Elder Traasdahl


No comments:

Post a Comment