Called to Serve in the Oklahoma City Oklahoma Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Elder Parker Traasdahl checks in on P-day
For the record. If you don't know what P-day is -- it's the one day per week an elder gets to attend to odds and ends such as laundry, letter writing, etc. So it was great to hear from the boys today. Here goes Elder P. Traasdahl's email:
So, what's up familia! I made it to P-day! And I'm sitting here in the laundry room waiting for my clothes to dry. Well, I can't keep straight what I've already told you in letters and haven't told you! Funny story though, just happened yesterday. It was our first TRC investigator, which is like either a recent convert role playing or an actual non member that the church pays to come in and role play. The man Elder White and I had was Daniel Limon. He's Hispanic, just came here a few years ago from Mexico, and is studying marketing in college. His buddy Jeremy, a member, referred him to us. We also know that his mother and brother died a few years ago and he just had a baby boy. This Daniel character is famous though for not letting the missionaries in. Of all the companionships that have attempted, he's only let one in. The rest he's either slammed the door on or just talks to in the door about anything and everything but the gospel. So Elder White and I were determine to get in his "home" (just a small room) our first visit. And that's where my story begins.
We go to the door, he answers, and we mention that his friend Jeremy told us about him. Of course he has no idea who this Jeremy guy is and he's lookin at us like we're aliens. Hahaa soooo we just started talking to him! And then he was wondering why we kept asking all these questions about him. We told him we were missionaries and wanted to share a message with him. He responds that he's catholic and doesn't want to get baptized. Somehow, I forget, we got him to not shut the door on us at that point, and continued talking. So he asked where we were from. My companion says southern California, and I say Mesa Arizona. As soon as I mentioned that he gave me the dirtiest look and said, "Oh so you're racist!" hahaha and I was so taken aback! I was like "Of course not! Why do you think that?" He explained then, for the next 30 min, how everyone from Arizona is racist because of SB1070. Oh my favorite line, he said "You look racist, you act racist, you talk racist!" Haha sooo moral of the story I can't say a word to this man now because anything I say is racist according to him. IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!!!! Its cool though, I'm gonna act like Tyler and win him over, just you wait. That is my only goal now no joke. Haha but then again this could be a blessing in disguise because now my companion has to do all the talking! And I just get to stand there :) Sike.
But um spiritual thought of the day. Well first funny analogy. I heard an Elder say that trying to deal with the first few days of the MTC is like trying to drink from a fire hydrant. Its so true! But things are getting a whole lot better now. My favorite part about the MTC is probably how my understanding of the Gospel is increasing. I mean I've always known things, but now I'm really starting to understand it at a deeper level, and its beautiful. We watched this short video clip of Elder Holland speaking to the missionaries, and his message essentially was if you expect to go out and have people gain a testimony of Christ, the Book of Mormon, the Atonement, you must have one first. Simply put, before we expect other to become converted to the Gospel of Christ, we have to be converted ourselves. So for the next 2 weeks, thats my goal! I'm going to convert myself again. And then again and again and again. Because each time we do our relationship with Christ strengthens. And who doesn't want that?! Man I love this Gospel. It's amazing.
Also I'm running out of time, so I'm sorry i couldn't reply to those who sent me emails! Thank you so much for the thought. If you write a letter I'll have more time to write you back. And sorry mom, I'm not taking too many pics, but i'll try to take more! Ty's taking alot though. And i see him around here and there. Anyways got to go. LOVE YOU ALL!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment