Thursday, May 15, 2014

Nov. 25, 2013 ~ It all starts with prayer ~


So much to talk about!  That's cool to hear that ASU won the Pac-12 south championship, sounds like it made for a fun evening!  Those pictures were sweet, that's not something that happens every day Bdog!  Maybe one day one of them will go to the NFL, think of that! Dad, thanks for the email. We've got somewhere to spend thanksgiving with, it'll be the Leavitt family, so there's no worries there.  They're doing a big shin dig down at the church building so it'll be a lot of people and a good time.  Mom, what an AWESOME experience!!  I loved your story of sharing the gospel.  I've gotta echo Tyler's statement, it makes it much easier to labor in the Lord's vineyard when you have the support system like the one we've got!  

We had a pretty stacked week this week. We started Monday off with a district leader council, and gave a training and set things straight. We're really striving to implement Joseph Smith's counsel "teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves."  Tuesday night we went on splits with our bishopric, and got some great LA, PM family work done. Wed we went out and had our Elders Quorum splits and had a lesson with Mark (who's getting baptized this weekend!  I've got that opening prayer on lock down again haha) and visited with a LA family.  Thur. was the big day, where we had Elder Craig A. Cardon of the Presidency of the 70 come to a mission conference.  Did you know he's born and raised in Mesa?  I was talking with his wife and she said that they raised their children there.  He got his something or other degree at ASU and the whole 9 yards.  He talked to us about a variety of things, but the major commitment he left with us was not to ask the head of the household if they'd be willing to say a closing prayer in our 1st lessons with investigators, but rather assign them the closing prayer, and not give in when they protest or make excuses as to why they don't want to. (which happens a lot ) He said that if they won't begin to say a prayer then, they won't start ever praying to know if what we shared with them is true.  "We are teaching spiritual children.  It all starts with prayer, and if they won't do that, then you've lost them."  It was an unexpected commitment, but I can see how it would help!

 The Norman stake also was reorganized this weekend, so we were able to listen to him and another member of the 70, Elder Rean this Saturday and Sunday.  The theme was member missionary work, and I pulled the most away from Elder Rean's message to us.  (They both served in Italy, and both went back as mission president's too, cool huh?)  Elder Rean said that from his mission, in Italy, (the 1st one) he came back feeling like a failure, because all he did was knock doors 13 hours a day, for 2 years, with 2 converts who went LA and 2 young women who only converted "because of two handsome Americans."  He prayed for opportunities and a friend from high school called him up and said "you left for your church thing, I went military.  My life's a mess.  I need help."  He then related more experiences that were similar to this one.  He prayed because he was willing, yet didn't feel like he was capable of going out of his way.  So the Lord brought people to him.  It reminded me of a scripture that I've been thinking about lately, relating to member missionary work.  It helps us identify who's ready to receive the gospel, and why we're the one chosen to share the gospel.  D&C 35:12-15 "And there are none that doeth good except those who are ready to receive the fullness of my gospel, which I have sent forth unto this generation. 13 Wherefore, I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and despised, to thresh the nations by the power of my Spirit; 14 And their arm shall be my arm, and I will be their shield, and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall fight manfully for me; and their enemies shall be under their feet; and I will let fall the sword in their behalf, and by the fire of mine indignation will I preserve them. 15 And the poor and the meek shall have the gospel preached unto them, and they shall be looking forth for the time of my coming for it is nigh at hand --"  The Lord doesn't expect us to be grand and mighty, but to be willing!  Elder Rean left two commitments with the members here that I extend to you, my wonderful family.  #1 Pray for personal missionary opportunities (which I know you're already doing) and #2 Do something with a friend, who's not a member of the church, outside of a church activity.  He made a comment that struck me as well.  He said "We're doing the world a disservice by not sharing the light we have with them. It's already a dark enough place.  Why allow it to get darker?"  I love you guys, and I love hearing about your lives!  Thanks for your righteous examples!!  Continue to learn and grow in the gospel, because that's the greatest thing we can do! Happy Thanksgiving!

Elder Traasdahl



 "4 missionaries, squeezed in a little green bug. Think it can happen? #itdid

No comments:

Post a Comment