Thursday, May 15, 2014

Nov. 4, 2013 ~ Learning how to "reproof betimes with sharpness" ~

La familia!!  E. Ravsten was called Spanish speaking, so it's been a mini goal of mine to become fluent in Spanish.  One of these days I'll learn it!  haha it's so good to hear from y'all though!!  Sounds like you've had a super busy week! Same here. How was Halloween for you guys??  Mom you asked what we did, well we spent it with this super nice old couple called the Crescents and turned in for the night!  We weren't allowed to go out and proselyte. Another set of missionaries and called us and said on their way home from dinner with a member they saw a group of guys dressed up all nice.  White shirts, slacks, ties.  What made their costume "the missionaries?"  They had helmets on.  haha classic okies for ya right there!  We finished the night off though watchin the hour long prophet of the restoration. 

Hey Dad, does an Anziano Ravsten sounds familiar?  Elder Ravsten's dad wrote him and said while he was in the MTC there was an Anziano Traasdahl he knew.  His Dad was born the same year you were and he served in the Sicily, Italy mission.  And Mom, way to keep on sharing the gospel!  I loved your insights about the importance of following up.  It's so important that PMG even has a whole chapter about it!  Something you could possibly do is even share with her a specific chapter that you feel she'd be receptive to, and suggest to her that she read that one first.

And the Gilbert temple!  What an incredible opportunity to do missionary work!  Utilize it in whatever way you can, because those are moments that don't come around very often!  Also I got both your letters this past week mom and dad, and they were a bright spot in my week, as always!  I'm greatful for being blessed to having been born of goodly parents.  Coming up this Saturday we're going to be having a baptism for Gabriel Arredondo at 11am!  Given everything runs smoothly.  He's such a solid guy. He came andplayed  basketball with us and some members of the ward Saturday morning at 6 and he was tearing in up!  It surprised all of us. He's way excited to get involved and become a member of the community and of the ward.  Elder Ravsten is going to baptize him, and I've got the opening prayer on lock down!  Bishop Blake is going to confirm him at church the next day.  

This past week there have been two talks that I've been able to learn a lot from. One is called Desires by Elder Dallin H. Oak and "Those Whom I Love I Chasten and Rebuke" by Elder Christofferson, in the April 2011 conference.  Suffice it so say, what I thought was adequate reproof and chastening, is not enough.  So I'm learning how to "reproof betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost, showing and increase of love afterwards, let he esteem thee to be his enemy."  In a nutshell, I've learned this past few weeks that sharpness doesn't necessarily mean rudeness, or harshness, but rather clarity, and understanding. President Packer has taught that true doctrine understood changes behavior.  If we are to help others help themselves change their behavior, we need to help them understand, on their level, the "why".  Haha it's a work in progress, and I've failed many a times at it.  However I know that we have a responsibility to fulfill, as members of the church, as siblings, parents, leaders, and children of our Heavenly Father wanting to help one another. Thanks for your loving correction and reproof over the years, it's helped become the person I am today!! Love,
Elder Traasdahl

No comments:

Post a Comment