Thursday, May 15, 2014

Nov. 11, 2013 ~ First time I've seen it done that way ~

Well transfers week has come and gone!  I'm staying here in Norman, which I wasn't surprised about.  Elder Burr is going to be my new companion.   I'm looking forward to serving with him though, I've heard good things about him.  He's at the end of his mission, he either has 1 or 2 transfers left.  As you could tell from the pictures I sent, G. got baptized this past weekend!  It was awesome!  We were talking with him before his baptism and he said to us "I started crying on my way to the church this morning thinking about getting baptized."  Br. Barber, a stud member here, gave the talk on baptism and the holy ghost, and at the end he said "I looked up the name Gabriel, and I wasn't surprised at what I found.  It means 'Man of God'."  You could tell that really impacted him when Br. Barber told him that.  Now for the actual baptism, it doesn't help when you have a leaky baptism font.... haha it took 4 times to complete the ordinance, and the 4th time they sat G. down and Elder Ravsten was kneeling as well.  First time I've seen it done that way but hey!  He was fully submerge and that's all that matters. His confirmation was a neat experience as well.  I was expecting to feel the spirit super strong as we all stood in the circle to give him the Holy Ghost, but I was surprised, because I didn't.  Instead, I felt this lasting, enduring, calm feeling of the spirit.  My testimony was built in the necessity to have the priesthood to perform saving ordinances, and the spirit confirmed that to me as I stood in that circle of priesthood brethren.

It was a blessing to be able to participate!  M., and investigator of ours was also at the baptism, and he has a date for the 30th, and he's right on track as well and really excited for it, so we'll be having another one coming up shortly!  Also!  If you got my letter this week you'll know what I'm talking about.  I've got to tell you about my fasting blessings!  I only got 1 migraine this week, and that was because I neglected to hydrate my body.  Had I been vigilant, I would've had 0, no doubt . Nevertheless!  I can't even begin to tell you the difference I have felt both body and mind, and I know they are the "significant but subtle" (to quote Elder Bednar) blessings that come from obeying the Laws of our Father in Heaven!

Bishop sent out a email the other week talking about decisions, and we only need to think about the decision in the moment.  As we make the right decision, in the moment, we'll have greater ability and power to make the right decision the next moment we have to choose. The same principle applies to testimonies and conversion. This small little experience about fasting, or the utilizing the priesthood, doesn't make up the whole of my testimony, but I've been strengthened by it to have the desire to fast again come next fast Sunday with more intent, or to seek opportunities to exercise the priesthood, etc. etc. It's a great comfort to know that we don't have to know everything, right now.  Anyways, just some thoughts that have been on my mind. Love y'all LOTS!!! Tis the turkey and Christmas season!! What a wonderful time of the year. This is Christ's Church! I know it, and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment