Goodness, it's so late in the day! Not really but the elders here in Texas have their routine a little different. So I was super excited to write to you guys this week, because there are a lot of awesome things to write about. But I have to start off with some terrible news... On Friday night of this last week a sister in our mission was riding her bike back from an appointment and was hit and killed. Her name was Sis. Smith. She was training and had shotguned and opened up a new area, Woodward. Her greenie was a 19 year old sister too. We're holding a memorial service for her as a mission tomorrow moring in Moore, OK. It was such a shock though, to get that phone call from our Zone Leaders. She had served in my previous zone, and on Wednesday, at transfers, I was talking to her and all that jazz. And then two days later, gone. So I made the phone calls to the rest of my district to inform them about her death. So if you could please keep the Smith family in your prayers, and President and Sister Taylor in your prayers as well, Because I know for a mission president and wife that's a worst nightmare come true.
But, for the good news now. Ha I love Texas. Well, it actually is really a grimey place, but the saints here are awesome. The Burkburnett ward is a military ward, and on Sunday at church you could just feel the humility in sacrament service. 80% of all the families have a father or mother who serve in the military. The members here are awesome too because they have no fear whatsoever in sharing the gospel! They bring their military buddies to church all the time. This area has some serious potential. In fact, in 2010, Burk Burnett was the highest baptizing area in the mission. Ha so of course President Taylor has told Elder Robison and I that he wants us to get it back to it's former glory. So that's the goal. And since Elder Robison goes home next transfer, I'm staying here for two transfers most likely... so here we go!! Oh and get this. Favorite part so far. In our area is Shepherd Airforce Base. On Sunday we found out that we can go on base and attend their 2 hour services! Now we had to get clearance (just a pass that lasts for two weeks) and a military person had to get us the pass and yada yada... we got it is all that's important. Haha but it was so awesome!! Going to church with military guys. Gosh. I know I talked about humility before, these guys were super humble. Definitely going to remeber these sacrament meetings on base for the rest of my life.
But k you gotta check something out for me. I met a Jaymond Bodine there. He says he knows Thane! Kinfolk Thane. When I introduced myself and Elder Traasdahl his eyebrows raised and he pointed to me and he mouthed "we need to talk after". Turns out they went to school together at Heritage? And now he's in the airforce going to school for some type of mechanics. As far as the work goes here we've got nothing so far, we're building from the ground up. A.k.a Noble 2.0. Except we're really working through the members here this time. We've got quite a bit less active families that we've decided to focus on.
ther funny story that I thought you guys would appreciate is my first District Meeting. Ha if there was one thing that I needed, and shouldn't have forgotten, but did forget, what do you think it'd be? Yep, my notes I made for the 25 min training. I just had to laugh, because I knew something like that would happen for my first district meeting. Anyways, I love you all, thanks for all you do for me. I pray for you each night. Keep on keepin on, and never forget, the church is true.
Love,
Elder Traasdahl
No comments:
Post a Comment