Right after that though we went and talked to this man who was loading up some junk into a trailor. And it's always interesting the responses you get from people. This guy was nice and friendly. We offered to help and he declined, and then we asked to give him a card (mormon.org card) and he said sure. So we did and first question out of his mouth after we did was "who is Jesus Christ??!" and this wasn't an honest question. This was a forceful I'm quizzing you question. I replied "Jesus Christ is my Savior". And he then just went off on this rant about how we only need to be cleansed in the blood of the lamb and we're saved and because of Christ's love he requires nothing more and yada yada yada. This dude was no joke gettting red in the face. So we of course answered the questions he asked us, and then we testified of the doctrine of christ. He then said "can I pray for you?" and Elder Andersen said "only if we can pray for you." So he put his hands on our shoulders and prayed that we would stop being deceived and would see that right path and would stop leading others astray-- ya know, the works. Best part about it was that we ran into this same guy two days in a row after that, in two different towns! So for three days straight the three main towns we cover we ran into this preacher guy.
Another story, not that important, well kinda is since Elder Andersen straight up layed down the law with him and it was sick! This guy named C. invited us to come back to talk with him. Turns out he just wanted to bash trinity. Now we could've argued with him... but rather we listened. And then Elder Andersen testified of the First Vision, and I'm telling you what, the Spirit there was like an elephant in the room, and we were outside! And then I talked about how he could know by the Book of Mormon the turthfulness of our message, and he said "I won't pray about it, because God should just reveal his truth to me." Then Elder Andersen said "Then C., you're passing up one of the greatest gifts God has ever given us. And whether it be in this life or before the judgement bar of God, you'll come to know of this." Moral of the story, bashing gets you nowhere, and when you testify of the Gospel it completely disarms them.
But kay listen to this. Remember the P. family that Elder Townsend and I found last transfer? That we never could get back in contact with? Well just on Saturday we went back there, and heck ya, they let us back in! And in two weeks, after they move down the road, they want to start taking the lessons again, and coming to church. They've been talking about it since we tracted into them and they've come to realize that they need to start coming to church! Oh and J! The lady who lost her husband in the Fort Hood shooting. We taught her twice this last week, the 1st and 2nd half of the Plan of Salvation. It was awesome! Talk about elect. It was funny though as we were starting the lesson we had planned to teach the 1st discussion, but E. Andersen after we said the prayer said "now what we're going to be talking about today is called the Plan of Salvation." Haha, totally threw me for a loop but I recovered soon enough. Turns out we had answered some of her questions she had been pondering that day.
And check this out. Saturday night we were planning, and we didn't have anyone that we could turn into a new investigator. But I hate planning for zeros. So kinda kiddingly, but somewhat serious, I said "lets plan for 1, and we'll plan in faith that someone will show up at church tomorrow and then we'll get to teach them". Well guess what. Haha ya. Someone came off the street because he was frustrated with his pastor and he had known a mormon in his younger years so he decided that today he would go to the Mormon church! Now we didn't get to teach him but we've got an appointment set with him on Tuesday. It's moments like that where you can't deny that Heavenly Father works by faith and answers prayers. And there's another potential investigator who called us, which surprised us, since people never call us, that wants to meet with us Wednesday. So things are looking good!
Now with that all said, I'm getting transferred. To Burkburnett. Its some town in Texas. Found out Saturday. President Taylor called us and he talked to Elder Andersen first and then we talked for a few minutes. I'll be getting Elder Robison as a comp. It'll be his last transfer. I'm not worried though, because he's a former zone leader, so I know he'll want to finish his mission off strong. I've been really lucky to get Elder Andersen (former zl) and then now Elder Robison. I'll also be serving as the District Leader down there. I'll have an 8 man district. It's a set of sisters, 3 elder comps, (including mine) and then there's also 2 senior couples in that district that I'll be serving in. President also told me that Burkburnett in 2010 used to be the highest baptizing area in the mission, and since has fallen. He's challenged me with Elder Robison to get it back to it's former glory. The scripture Alma 26:12 keeps on coming to mind. I feel like that's the theme of my mission so far. Inadequacy is something I'm always feeling. Anyways, thats what's going on. Oh, and not to mention, I'll be the youngest missionary in my new district.
I'm sad to leave Noble. There's a lot of work here, a lot of work and I want to see through to the end. But like Tyler mentioned two weeks ago, or referenced from Bishop's emails, we're all on the same team. This is the Lord's work. It should not matter where we go if we all have an eye single to the glory of God. I know the Lord is aware of our circumstances, and I know that like you were talking about Mom, we have to go through storms in life so that when we make it through them we'll be seasoned captains, ready to take on the storm, because the path to perfection isn't sunshine and lollipops. I love y'all, and keep on keepin on!
Elder Traasdahl
p.s. Rumor out here is that every missionary that's ever gone to Texas has come back with some narly Texas pride.... Not too sure how I feel about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment